Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Super Cheap Super Bowl Snacks

The Super Bowl was pretty exciting this year. The game was close and the half time show was great. Being in Indianapolis, I was excited to be a part of all that football action. 

To celebrate the game our family decided to stay home and watch it together. As most people, I decided to make "super bowl" snacks.

In my usual fashion the fancy football feast was on a budget! Before heading out to the store I looked at ingredients already in the house and made a menu based on items I had on hand.

Super Cheap Super Bowl Menu:

Pita Pizza Footballs
Wings
Nachos
A (rare) Special Bakery Treat

Other than the olives I already had everything I needed on hand to make Pita Pizzas:


Pita Pizza is a great kid friendly recipe. My son decorated his pizza just the way he wanted with his two favorite ingredients (olives and pepperoni). The Salad Pockets were perfect for the football theme. I divided them in half which made for a crispier crust and they sort of looked like footballs:


I typically find the deli wings on manager's special at my local Kroger ($1.79 for 12). I heated them in the oven along with the pita pizzas at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.


I already had Velveeta cheese for nachos. If you don't have this item it was the most expensive on the menu - nearly $5 for 16 oz! It is not something I normally buy, but was purchased for another special recipe earlier in the week.

I picked up 2 cans of Hormel Chili on sale at Kroger for $0.91 per can - $0.55/2 coupon = $0.63 per can.

Kroger Chips are usually priced at $1/ bag, I purchased 2. I think they taste the same as Tostios which can run $3 a bag or more!

It is really easy to make the nachos - another family recipe a child could help with. Layer chips, Velveeta cheese slices, and chili on a microwavable plate. You can also make this in individual size portions if desired. 


Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Add sour creme, diced tomato, lettuce, and olives:


Normally I would not buy goods from the bakery because they are just too expensive to justify. As a treat, I told my son we could pick something out for our Super Bowl Party. My preferred Kroger often has bakery items on manager's special. We found this chocolate cake on sale for $4.


Everything turned out great, took less than 30 minutes to put together, and everything was super easy to make! I put out a few other items at my son's request...

No comments:

Post a Comment